21 June 2010

Wanted: Your 2 Cents

pennies

From as far back as I can remember, I had my future planned.  I was going to become a doctor.  While in junior high/high school when each student was asked to explore career options, I always sat pretty with the idea that I had it figured out and I didn’t need to think of anything else.  I took classes and certifications that put me on my path and everyone was aware of my aspirations.  I went to and got home from Alabama, signed up for the pre-med program at the U and started on my path . . . then it all came to an abrupt halt.  Through work, school, and a fair amount of consideration, those “sure” future ideas were gone.  I became like a fish out of water, scrambling for some kind of direction. . . (insert long story here). . . Three years later, I was graduating for BYU in Business Management. 

Dear life: sometimes you are exciting, but don’t make much sense.

And now here we are.  And after THINKING I was set with my future plans, I find I am not so swift at this “what should I do with my life” thing.  We are coming up on seven months since graduation and I am still in hot pursuit of one of those “career” thingies.  One of those careers that seems to “fit” with who I am.  After hundreds of applications and a couple healthy handfuls of interviews (I’ll spare you the gory details), we are getting close to needing to make SOME kind of decision.  I have toyed around with a few ideas, but can’t really nail one down.  I have an internal conflict between the apparent “stable” and “conservative” options and the ones that allow me to pursue passions.  Not only do each have their pros and cons, but I find that I could love many aspects of each.

Once I was confident in my future, but now the details are so blurry, if visible at all. . . . HELP!

So, let me throw a few of these ideas up the flagpole and see if I get any salutes.

#1 – Business

I graduated in business management from the Y and I really loved it.  I excelled in many aspects of my education and have some past experience that has taught me that I could love good old “industry” and I would be pretty friggin’ good at it . . . BUT WHICH industry?  This is perceived as the “stable” and “sensible” option and I like that.  It doesn’t seem to give much space for other life passions, but that is why we vacation, pursue, hobby, and dream, right? . . .

This option includes grad school in 3-5 years.

#2 – Production

This one institutes a bit of business, but a larger dose of creativity.  I THINK I would love production (producer, manager, etc.) in the areas of radio/movies/television, but I am not completely sure seeing that I don’t REALLY know what the options are or what the scene is like.  This may also included a big step in going back to school in an area I am not totally sure about.

#3 – Culinary School

I am being completely serious.  Not only is this a passion, but I have the business to back it up.  I would really enjoy this, but do I have the huevos to do it?  Is it really a REAL option or is it just an exciting thought?

#4 – Surprise Option

The option I really don’t know about yet . . .

So there you have it.  YOU DECIDE 2010! . . . I patiently await your opinions. 

3 comments:

Britt said...

i'm rarely a commenter on these things but i can't help it! i found your blog from As She Thinketh btw!

i graduated with a degree a few years ago and went right into my field of study (political science). i liked it but never loved it. now i find myself going back to school to finish my pre-med pre-reqs because that is what i truly want to do.

so i totally understand your concerns and hesitations but my advice...sometimes the best way to decide what you want to do is figure out what you don't want to do. i think you should go forth on the business path if that's your degree and see if you like it. if you don't, cross it off the list and move onto the next thing.

don't wait around for your "dream" job. i recently read this quote by Katie Couric and i think it's spot-on "A less-than dream job can help you find your dreams. Work hard. There is just no way around it. Hard work is the answer"

you're the only one who truly can answer the question but hopefully that gets you thinking!

best of luck!

Brittany said...

Hi Greg! My husband and I are going through exactly what you are! When we think about careers, we think about how the schedule will work with our family.

When I was considering culinary arts (Cordon Bleu) I was stumped because if you're a chef or open a restaurant... you usually work nights, holidays, and weekends. I quickly threw that out because I need to spend time with my family.

Then I thought about teaching... perfect cause you work the same hours as your children and have holidays and all summer off. This is the path I chose... However, the pay is not so perfect.

I've considered going back to get my Masters in Social Work to become a therapist (good pay and good schedule) but is it really what I want to do?

I bet you're expecting an answer at the end of this comment... but I don't think I have one for you! I know this completely contradicts everything I've said... but if you're passionate about cooking then I say culinary arts. I think I threw it out the window too quickly because I only thought of the cons, not the pros... which is I would be really happy doing it.

A business degree would go great with that and you could open up a little cafe one day. And cute Emmalee would attract all your customers :)

I hope this makes sense and I wasn't just rambling!

Shiv said...

I think you should put writer, comedy writer - somewhere on the list of possibilities!

No matter what you decide I know you will do great at it.