13 June 2010

Mein Kampf

Mein Kampf

I have a struggle.  Well, its more of a complaint, but it FEELS better when I call it “My Struggle”. . . that way, I have more of a right to kvetch. 

Caution: KVETCHING AHEAD!

born-to-kvetch_l

Over the past 5 months, I have done what I can to make healthy dining choices and it has paid off wonderfully.  I feel healthier now than I have in a long time and I wouldn’t trade that for anything; HOWEVER, I have – in turn – developed an eating disorder, of sorts, when it comes to foods I eat while in my home.  The disorder: a simple and boring repertoire of foods I eat on a consistent basis that I cannot seem to break myself from though I want to desperately.

The culprits:

  • Low-fat yogurt
  • Low-fat cottage cheese (I prefer low-fat yogurts and cottage cheese)
  • Turkey sandwiches on whole-wheat
  • Slim-Fast
  • Eggs
  • Orange Juice
  • Lean Cuisines
  • Cereal
  • Fruit

Each time I go to the grocery store, I am CONVINCED that I am going to expand.  I AM GOING TO GROW!  I walk down each isle completely open minded to finding great foods to make great dishes.  (I watch Food Network religiously to find awesome new things to make at home.) Then it hits; JUSTIFICATION.  “Oh, that will take too long.”  “No, no, that will make me fat again.” THE DISORDER!, it takes over.  It causes me to forget all the great ideas I have and pick the boring.  Then, as I am checking out, I realize I have nothing special.  Nothing to break the status quo.  Nothing that is going to cure me! . . . I drive home in shame.

HOWEVER, what I find MOST FRUSTRATING is that is has not always been this way.  I used to make good food at home.  I used to be exciting and people looked forward to what I made for dinner.  I used to have good leftovers and it seemed as though I couldn’t cook fast enough to keep up with the ideas that I had.

Apparently, thus enters the need to be eating healthier. . . Catch 22, y’all.

I require a healthy redemption . . . heck, even the occasional indulgent redemption. . .

HELP!  My posterity deserves better!

6 comments:

Cherie said...

Get a weight watchers cook book. or rachel rays 30 minute meals cookbook then plan a menu before you go to the grocery store! I never get anything good or have a full dinner if I don't go with a list

Brittany said...

Greg! I work at a treatment center for eating disorders and I think you need to check yourself into Avalon Hills. You, sir, are in what we call a food rut!

Cheryl said...

Eat what you want and exercise like crazy....Monday this is my philosophy cause I don't want to die and look back knowing I ate "boring". Life is too short.

(now I'm not saying eat crap food....still cook your amazing dishes just stop eating those nasty lean cuisine things. Nat has found some fun blogs for food that I'm excited to try)

Shiv said...

You are a blogging fool lately... and I love it!

I know how this rut feels. It's a tough one to break away from. You should make a new and fun dish at least once a week. You can branch out a little from the health-nut options, but if you treat yourself once a week then you are still keeping your good healthy habits :)

Add more veggies - you can make fun omelettes with asparagus, peppers, etc :) Still healthy, but it will add variety to what you already eat.

Unknown said...

It could be worse. Your food rut could be like ours: Little Caesars, McDonald's and hot dogs. Boring AND unhealthy.

First of all, pat yourself on the back for how hard you've worked. You look GREAT!

Second, maybe check out Elie Krieger on the Food Network. She cooks "healthy" but still interesting food. Or come steal my back issues of "Cooking Light". They have some killer stuff in there, I just don't have the energy to make it.

Katherine said...

May I suggest you try a Chopped Challenge? Since you mentioned your love of the Food Network I assume you are familiar with the show "Chopped." Whenever we get stuck in a rut we recreate the show at home. My husband will pick four random ingredients, and I must create a culinary masterpiece using them. It really gets my creative juices flowing. My latest food discovery? Lentils. Useful in so many ways, and so good for you. Good luck!