29 January 2008

Kickin it with a monkey

Okay so here she is....MEGAN THE MONKEY! Yes, brothers and sisters, this is my stuffed friend and I am NOT ashamed. You see, she is riding in the car with me to school. Today for my public speaking class we had two minutes to give a description of who we are and we needed to bring a visual aid. I brought the monkey! WHY, you ask? I will tell you.

It sums me up in three ways: One, it was given to me by my beautiful wife (to whom which the monkey is a namesake) to remind me what I looked like when we first met back on Dec 4, 2004. (Seussical the Musical at RMT) Two, my random overactive personality. Three, that it went with me to remind me of my wife while I was in Nauvoo. My time in Nauvoo speaks of my love for the arts, talent expression, confidence, and mostly for my passion with the Restoration of the Gospel and the lives of the early saints.

I am not going to lie, it went well. In fact, most of the other were quite disorganized and I was a little let down. I was excited to learn some new things about people. BUT I was given the job of SPEECH TIMER! Here are my two cards; one yellow and one red.


Yellow was for 2 1/2 minutes and red was, well, shut up and sit down you're boring us (three minutes).

This was the PERFECT calling for me. I have this other little aspect of my personality. It actually stands as one of my biggest pet peeves: when people talk too long (I am a culprit, but I am the one with the pet peeve so I can and you are not bothered. Got it?)

Anywho, you better believe that if someone did not deliver a quality talk, I cut their time and gave the yellow card at almost 1 1/2 minutes. For one girl, I just went straight to the red. I figured that it was my responsibility and calling to keep the rest of the class from pain. She gave me a surprised look, but I gave her the look back of, "Hey don't judge ME, YOU are the one giving the boring speech here." RED CARD!

This is freedom of expression at its finest.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know about that little pet peeve. My husband must really bother you a LOT then, huh?

Anonymous said...

And mine must make you bleed at the ears!!!! Ha Ha...are you going to bring those cards to Sunday dinners now :)
Love ya the mostest.