25 February 2009

Classic Accountability

Their are rules of fatherhood that I plan on holding myself to: I will never make fun of my daughters, I will search for opportunities for adventure, and I will hold my kids accountable to the CLASSICS to name a few.  Which classics, you ask?  Let me give you a taste:  Kraft Macaroni and Cheese,  Big Wheels, Saturday morning cartoons, Saturday morning chores, chicken nuggets, bed-time stories, Kick the Can, piano lessons, summer road trips, and riding bikes.  HOWEVER, there is one that nearly takes the Classic Accountability Cake . . . . .

nintendo64

NINTENDO 64!

I LOVE the Nintendo 64!  I played it religiously when I was younger (specifically MarioKart, DK, and Zelda).  When I got home from my mission I inquired about the 64 . . . and it was GONE!  It was kiboshed by my father.  This changed me.  I felt abused.  So just after I got married I did what any sensible "abused" person would do . . . go on Ebay and BUY ANOTHER ONE!  A GREEN ONE!  (You should have seen Meg's face.  THAT was classic!)

Anywho, sadly with life's craziness and my severe lack of games, it just sat and collected dust . . . UNTIL LAST WEEK.  That's right, the Nintendo 64 has made its triumphant return when friend Bethany and her brother brought over a slew of games.  They included:

mariokart 64

MarioKart 64.  Oh the joy that is this game.  I pretty much kick some major trash.  There are sides of me that come out during this game that very few have seen, but would do anything to witness.

 

mariokart 64 mario

There is still a fire in our eyes when my sister, Cheryl, and I talk about this game.  She STILL is the only one to consecutively beat me on this one.

 

 

zelda

This is Zelda.  Secretly, I have beat this game numerous times, but just kept going.  This one is a keeper!

 

 

 

 

And GoldenEye 64!  Don't tell me you don't remember Natalia.  The anxiety that this games brn64-GoldenEye007eeds is nearly lethal, but you can never step away.  Your sight is on that Golden Gun and you will continue at ALL ODDS to get it.  Oh yeah, and the knife throwing is cool!

And OF COURSE the Donkey Kong listed above.  (I am trying to teach Megs how to love this game.  She is putting up a bit of a fight, but she'll give in once she sees the babe and I kickin' some major monkey trash!)

We are SO excited, but worry sometimes that we have what it takes to be good parents, BUT with our adherence to the classics, I believe us to be one step ahead.

5 comments:

Cherie said...

Oh yes, Donkey Kong! You guys are the ones that got Bret and I hooked on DK and MarioKart!! But we never had N64 so we played Super Nintendo, I still love it and I want to buy one on Ebay, I also love Sega Genesis!
Also, Sat morning cartoons and Sat morning chores... you can't do both, it's not possible, I REMEMBER. Cause as soon as my mom found out I was awake and sneakily watching cartoons, I had to do my chores!

Bethany said...

i will beat you. last night was just an off night....

Unknown said...

Sorry dude, nothin' beats the one and only original NES. The first Zelda, Mario Bros. (and the sequels) and the SIMPLE controls! The ease of the controls alone makes it the most superior gaming system I've ever seen (plus it makes it the only one I could play until the Wii came along).

Krista Que said...

I second Brooke.

Ryan said...

our 64 doesn't work! can i just come over with beth and play with you guys?