16 August 2009

Hear ye, hear ye

Each summer Meg’s extended family (we’re talking 70+ people) go to Sun Valley Idaho each year.

sun valley

They have been going for, I think, the past 30-40 years.  It is a ski resort during the winter, and a beautiful getaway during the summer.  It really is a great time and filled with more tradition than you can shake a stick at . . . and we love it.

One such tradition is the annual migration of the men to the golf course.  And this is serious business, people.  Grandpa sets these tee times far in advance and your answer when he asks if you are going . . . is yes.  End of discussion.

Now don’t get me wrong, it really is a wonderful time and a BEAUTIFUL course and grandpa is so generous to have me go, but I am not what would refer to as a “good golfer.” sv golf

The past two years I have attempted to have the best time that I can and just relax, but I just would begin, after 18 holes, to boil over with a bit of anger.  I mean really, one may ask “how can one skinny ole stick, one small ball, and breath taking beautiful scenery cause so much anguish?”  I am not exactly sure why, but it can, damn it!

THIS year was going to be different.  THIS year I was going to come prepared.  THIS year I was going to have the experience that such an outstanding course demands. I signed up for the golf class at school, I was going to the driving range weekly and I even bought a book entitled “Making it to Par.” . . . well I had to drop the class, I never made it to the driving range, and I only read chapter one the day before we came out.  Even then, all that chapter taught me was to hold my club like I would hold a baby bird . . . I have NEVER HELD a baby bird!  I was in for it.

Well, I showed and was put into a group of three with my father-in-law (who just may be one of the most laid back people ever) and a cousin.  You know what?, I had a great time.  I didn’t do that hot, but I didn’t do that bad either.  I lost three balls, but I found three.  AND I only silently cussed like three times.  I really enjoyed myself and learned some great things.

SO, here it is.  I am once again committing myself to becoming a good golfer; technically,I have it in my blood and now I am going to do something about it. 

Now who wants to give me free lessons? . . .

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's to not making a total fool of yourself on the SV Golf Course!

More importantly, here's to all the blogging time that Sun Valley seems to afford you. Huzzah! (yes, I am secretly from colonial America)

Chelle said...

Always... and I mean ALWAYS... start out a golfing day with a nice helping of quiche. This is the best advice I can offer.

B-RAD said...

Bro I know you got it in you! Its one of the most frustrating things I've ever learned and it is that one stupid good shot that you hit that gets you to come back to such a "fun" game. Good luck! (oh and it can get expensive, be careful)

Shiv said...

If you figure out where to get free lessons - I think I might like to try it... but I have no hope of being at all successful. Unfortunately I am not better at sports than I let on, like some people I know have recently admitted to :)