12 December 2008

Christian? . . . PROVE IT!

Last night, after Fetal Fotos, we drove into downtown for the Church's annual Mo-Tab Christmas Concert!  This year was with Brian Stokes Mitchell.  Megs is in love with him, and as the concert started (which we enjoyed from THE SECOND ROW!  Hearing the Mo-Tab+Orchestra from that close is BREATHTAKING), I looked over and saw her blush and let out an almost silent giggle.  "MEGS AND BRIAN SITTIN' IN A TREE, K-I-S-S-I-N-G."

. . .Well, to validate her crush, I will say that he is pretty darn good.  Just one of the people you could listen to all day and be happy to do not much else.  It was an outstanding night full of amazing talent, beauty, and the Christmas spirit.  It feels good to filled with near perfect, wholesome, holiday bliss that signals to your mind "CHRISTMAS."  A great evening.

HOWEVER, to get the evening in motion first comes, what I consider, "THE CHRISTIAN TEST."  What is this test, you ask? . . .PARKING, parking AT THE CONFERENCE CENTER FOR AN EVENT.  AND not just ANY event; the CHRISTMAS, MO-TAB, BRIAN STOKES MITCHELL event.  Now one would think that a bunch of Christians headed off to a wonderful Christian event would make this a pleasant experience . . . WRONG.  It's either eat or be eaten out there!  Past experience and performance has taught me to drop off the wife and kids before this test.  Last night, thankfully, I did just that.

From the moment I dropped Megs and her mom off I began to chant "CHRISTIAN TEST, CHRISTIAN TEST" and within 30 SECONDS, I lost that test!  The person in front of me STOPPED in the middle of RIDICULOUS TRAFFIC to turn around and look at the lights . . .

I was pretty bummed about failing the test so quickly, but, thankfully, "PLAN PERSPECTIVE" kicked in almost as fast.  This plan points me to thoughts and ideas such as, "Well, maybe it's their first time in SLC and they are overcome with the beauty Temple Square at Christmas" or "I am sure it's a grandpa stopping to show his sweet little granddaughter the beauty of the temple and sharing a brief testimony."

After overcoming such failure, I pressed on the drive about 300 feet in about 15 minutes and made it with basically not additional failures.  I found Megs and my new primo, secluded, not-well-known parking spot(which I REFUSE to give the exact coordinates to.  It is prime! and only a block away.  I would hesitate to even disclose it to my own mother, but would if pushed hard enough.  FIND YOUR OWN!)

I got parked, walked to deposit my money, realized I forgot my money, went back to get my money, walked back to pay, paid, walked half way to the Conference Center, realized I forgot my ticket, walked BACK to the car, FAILED the Christian Test again, got my ticket, took a silent moment to repent and collect myself, reviewed the car for any additional items that I MAY need, and then walked to the Conference Center.

OVERALL, it was a great night: family, Christmas, music, beauty, lights, crisp air, the Conference Center, and peace.  Many times I think my life is so rushed and focused on point A and point B that I forget to stop and really take it all in; take a mental snapshot, if you will, of the many memorable opportunities that surround me.  Life is full of so much good and joy and here's to recognizing that goodness and joy, those small, peaceful moments, and the Christmas spirit . . .  Oh yeah, and NOT losing the "Christian Test" for a long, long time to come.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

6 comments:

Andrew said...

We were there and we LOVED it. Can't wait to see you guys!!

Alex said...

Oh that is precious!!! I love you Greg! But only in the brother sort of way ya know joe! You are an excellent writer my friend!

Krista Que said...

You know Greg, I use the Plan Perspective a lot too. Infact, most of it is when I am dealing with you. Sometimes I will just say to myself, "well, maybe he didn't learn that in school" and "remember, he's family" or "perhaps he was born that way".

Glad you enjoyed the show!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the laugh. Perspective is everything :)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you and Dad parked the cars and NOT me!

I consistently fail the Christian test . Usually it only happens in a car so maybe I should walk more places.

The Walkers said...

Ha ha. I'm afraid there's not a Christian bone in body when it comes to downtown driving. There's a reason I sit shotgun.