18 December 2008

Canine Compromise

Megs and I have always loved dogs.  In fact, a little known secret about my wife is that she actually enjoys puppies and puppy BREATH ALMOST MORE than she loves babies.  Weird, I know.  We even had a little "incident" this past summer when Megs saw some puppies being walked down the street and, with NO regard for her, my, or ANY ones life around us, demanded that we turn around and hunt those dogs down so she could get another look . . .

Anywho, because of our fondness for dogs, Megs and I began discussing our future dog breed preferences early on in dating, and painstakingly, we did NOT agree.  Possibly one of the reasons it took us TWO AND A HALF YEARS to tie the knot!

Meet NED!2352-miniature-daschund-250px

Ned is a Dachshund (aka WEENER DOG!)  He is lively, playful, and overall full of life!  And just like my old 1972 VW Beetle, NO ONE can pass him up without a smile. Who WOULDN'T love Ned? . . . Answer: MEGAN!

This came as a pretty big surprise and kick in the gut.  I tried and tried and tried to no avail.  I pictured Ned playing with my children and growing old with us.  I saw Ned coming on family camping trips with us and biting at fish as they swam by.  I envisioned Ned rolling around in the backyard, playing with his favorite plastic, newspaper-shaped chew toy, and galloping his awkward body toward me as I called his name.  Dreams . . . thrashed!

After a few years of stubbornness and avoidance of the topic, compromise led us to this beauty of a canine:

beagle-dog

She has yet to be named, but this will be our family dog.  Beagles are family oriented, loving dogs that play well with children. Sadly, their bodies are only a LITTLE awkward, but I guess that will do.

So there you have it, CANINE COMPROMISE.  Now we just need to work on the degree, the career, the house, and children, and the backyard.  Minor things, really.

P.S. For good measure and to always stay on my wife's good side, I have attached the following puppy pictures:

beagle_pup cute-daschund-puppy

7 comments:

kelly said...

Meg, you sound like a girl after my own heart. When I was pregnant with my first baby, I secretly hoped it was a litter of puppies.

Puppy breath can't be beat.

Unknown said...

I need one of those dogs. Not really (because oh my word can you imagine the torture a dog would undergo at this house of overexuberant children?) but they are SO cute.

I'm with Megs on the weenie dog thing Greg. Ick. Give me a Lab or a Beagle any day of the week. Or a really great mutt! No awkwardly shaped, disproportionate dogs for me, thank you!

Cherie said...

I love puppy breath! it smells like Cheerios!!
Also, maybe this will make you feel better... weiner dogs get really mean when they get old. They have bad backs (you can guess why) and don't like to be picked up as they start to get older, and they bite at children (cause kids pick them up) so they really aren't good for kids! They just get really grouchy cause of the pain and don't like to be touched. At least the few people that I have known that own one have said that.

Bethany said...

aunt barbara always puts hank outside when i come. will you put "unnamed" outside when i come to visit you??? it shows true love...

Jessica Adams said...

I'm with Megs. I would go for the beagle.
I've been told by more than one person that weiner dogs aren't good with kids. --refer to 2 comments up, for example--
...I'm just sayin'.

Hannah White said...

at least you get a dog!! Matt is allergic. Talk about depressing!

Anonymous said...

This is one hilarious post... maybe you have to know you two well to understand it but I was laughing so hard throughout, good job greg...

p.s. always good to see you guys today