03 November 2008

theoretically speaking

You know, I have theories.  I have ALL KINDS of theories.  And I like to think.  I like to think and I talk to myself about what I think.  In fact, I talk myself through most blog posts. I like to try to make sense of life.  I like to answer questions that I ask myself about... MYSELF.  Some of these theories and ideas and perceptions are long.  And some of them are quite short.  All this helps me understand that NO ONE can be bottled into one single idea.  People are amazingly diverse and that is awesome.  People are made up of millions of memories, experiences, ideas, and perceptions.  This helps me to give people the benefit of the doubt.  Today, I have a theory about NORMAL.

Apparently, I am not normal.  I am a man.  I like to cook.  I like to be social.  I would prefer to talk to someone about how their day went rather than to "watch the game."  I laugh at socially unacceptable things.  Sometimes, I swear.  I care (most days) about what my hair looks like.  I don't understand most of what they are saying on ESPN.  I love to listen to and make people feel great about their life situations.  I enjoy watching most sports, but could never speak "stats".  I have a pink shirt that I look good in.  I can't think of anything greater than holding my daughter.  I have better handwriting than quite a few other women.  Competition can sometimes make me uncomfortable.  I would rather attend yoga or jogging on the treadmill than go lifting weights at the gym with the other muscle-heads trying to find any reflective surface to gaze in to.  I blog.  Apparently, I am not normal.

For a good chunk of my life, this supposed deviation made me hide.  BUT, today I have a new theory about NORMAL.  It is best given by a young man named Angus (or at least a young man who plays a person named Angus in a movie)

And so what to be normal? We all have to be like you? There are 400 people in this room that are nothing like you. Some of them are fat, some of them are skinny, some of them are tall, some of them are short, some of them have braces, some of them have birthmarks, or scars, or frizzie hair, or ears that stick out. But most of them probably walk these halls everday never telling anybody the truth about what they really want or need or believe. Because people like you, normal people like you have them terrified of being who they are. I mean if your normal what does that make them? So which is it Rick, are you normal or are you just one of us?

So there you have it.  I am not normal . . . thank goodness.

6 comments:

Ben said...

This is my favorite post from any blog EVER. I have actually read over it a few times this morning because it word-for-word sums up how I feel about life too.
All I can say is "AMEN!" I could't agree more.

Bethany said...

keep cooking. please, keep cooking. and take care of your 80 year old wife. :)(love you megs!!!)

kelly said...

Yay for you for putting this into words. I am always telling my boys that people don't remember a person who is "just like everyone else". I am forever trying to drill it into their heads that difference is what makes life delicious!
I think you are absolutely delightful and I am so glad that you embrace your own differences because I wouldn't change a thing!

Unknown said...

Hey- what is that from? Great quote.

The rest of it was also a masterpiece. There is NO such thing as normal. Which I am grateful for, it makes the world so much more interesting.

Thank you for being you- I love ya and I'm so glad we are family.

Elizabeth said...

Purple Tuxes totally rule! I love Angus!

Cheryl said...

beautifully written. wish mom would have drilled that into our heads a little more growing up. it took me a long time to realized it and i have been so much happier since then. love you, xoxo