25 March 2008

uhh.....awkward

Okay so I know that I share many of my experiences from my Public Speaking class, but COME ON. If you give 25 young coeds an open forum and loose instruction you are in for a treat.
Today marked the beginning of our Persuasive speeches. It is an 8 minutes speech on a topic of your choosing. The objective is to persuade the class to believe in and support your POV.
This is.......Vern (for safety sake) Now Vern was in the same room when the rest of us learned all about tailoring our speeches to our audience: what they know, what they want to hear, what they care about, etc. Our setting is nearly 50% international students. Nearly half of those (if not more) are on some kind of ethnicity scholarship. (Keep in mind Caucasian is not an accepted ethnicity when it comes to scholarships) Vern; however, chooses his topic. He chooses.....

I nearly messed myself........ Now mind you I agreed with many of his points. He spoke that we, as a society, should be awarded more on our abilities, contributions, efforts, and accomplishments rather than on our origins of birth. Increased affirmative action only aids the bigotry and cultural division of the nation and teaches us that we no longer need to strive for greater heights, we can just assume they are our obligations. (Okay so he really didn't say ALL of this, but I decided that because it is my blog I will add my own voice) AMEN BROTHER.....,BUT at the same time I feared for his life. This action is pretty much the only reason that many of these students were able to make it into this class in the first place. Vern never took his eyes off his paper. He was going to say what he had to say and said it he did. Secretly I was hoping for a debate. I LIVE for this kind of stuff. I looked around the room and saw THIS!

FOR HEAVEN SAKES even the foreign kids were sleeping! Take a stand! Get rilled up when rilling up is called for. Believe in your rights and convictions.........IF YOU HAVE THEM.
I just thought this sight was quite pitiful. I was expection blood and nashing of the teeth and I got NOTHING. What a let down. Maybe I should give my speech on Border Regulations or Required Competency and Minimal GPA requirements and see what transpirers. This pot NEEDS SOME STIRRIN'!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! I almost died laughing. This is so true and so funny but a topic I would NEVER have chosen EVER for fear of offending someone or loosing my lunch money. Thanks for the link by the way... that made my whole week!

Unknown said...

You go stir that pot Greg! Your life could use a little excitement.

Cheryl said...

uhh...awkward is correct and I'm so sorry that nobody gave a crap. That would have been a great moment to record and post on your blog!!! Did the teacher say anything or was she white too?

The Littlest Moons said...

I took a public speaking class at uvsc, and it was not even close to being this exciting/entertaining/exciting! Well, except when the teacher falsely accused me of having a crush on some kid--while I was wearing my wedding ring...awkward.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap Greg! That freaking made my whole day! I love how you just whip out the camera to document such an event- YOU ARE MY HERO MAN!

Anonymous said...

Hey....I know you are a busy man but I can't keep leaving messages on the same post when I check your blog. Your site meter will say I visited you and you will see I didn't leave a message...xoxo