11 February 2008

PICTURE THIS!

So PICTURE THIS.
For part of my job I run the sound at the theatre for different shows. Sound can be quite busy because I am pulling the levels up and down on people mics, starting and stopping sound cues and sound effects. For most of the show my face in buried in my script anticipating the next cue. If I make a mistake, EVERYONE knows because you can hear it.

ANYWHO (here comes the picture part because I forgot and left my phone in the office, THUS no picture, BUT there just may be a reenactment soon!)

I was running sound for "Once Upon a Mattress". It was a busy part of the script just before the Spanish Panic dance. I was standing with my head down watching the actors with both hands on the board when I felt my nose get all warm. I dabbed my nostril with my hand and saw BLOOD! Now, I really don't get many bloody noses, but when it bleeds it is like a fire hydrant! I panicked a little and grabbed one of the cotton balls that we use to clean peoples faces before attaching their mic. I figured the catastrophe had been side stopped.......wrong.

I grabbed another cotton ball and proceeded to pack it in............to no avail. I was panicking now. I HAVE to use both hands on the board and if I take even a two second break during this section I will miss a vital cue. This is when the spirit of the soldier came into play. My dad would be SO proud.

I turned quickly to the guy running the lights and said, "DAVE, SIX INCHES OF TAPE.......NOW!" As he was obtaining the tape I grabbed a small wad of cotton. In a FLASH OF FURRY I affixed the said cotton with the tape directly to my face and continued with my duties. For the next 45 minutes......tape ......and egg on ma face.

Thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did pretty darn good describing it but I didn't snort like when you told me in person with the hand movements!!!! There better be a picture soon....

kelly said...

Greg- a little known fact about Kelly D. is that he has fierce nosebleeds that happen without warning. For this reason, he carries at all times in his camera bag actual tampons which we have cut into the size of little nose plugs (sans string, of course)!
How's that for ingenious?
(and now someone has used the word tampon on your blog...sorry. Kinda.)

Unknown said...

AWESOME! But why am I just hearing about this now?

Kelly- Tampons up the nose? That may be the funniest thing I've ever heard.