03 January 2012

Outcast

Disclaimer - after midnight posts still count for "a post a day".  Got it?!

World, my guitar.  My guitar, the world.



Now that you have been properly introduced I can explain our relationship.  It is a relationship of mockery, really.  My guitar sits in the corner, the dark, dusty, lonely corner and mocks me of what could have been.

But let's start at the beginning...

I have always wanted to learn to play the guitar.  From an early age I always thought it to be so awesome.  Some of my earliest memories are of my father sitting in the front room on a Saturday morning playing his guitar along with whatever was on the radio.  I never understood how he knew what to play, but he did and he did it amazingly well.  I have always envisioned that I would offer my children this same Saturday morning memory.  Also, as I grew up it appeared that all the cool kids learned to play.  I remember a particular night in Jr. High.  A new kid had just moved in and a group of kids invited him to a party we had that night.  The party was going great and I was doing the best I could to send out the "vibes" to the woman of my dreams.  Then just when I felt she was starting to feel the heat, it happened - that damned new kid pulled out his guitar and played his love ballads.  The girls in the room were like moths to a flame; a new, exciting, NOT ME flame.  I was pissed, threw a little fit and left the party early.  One day I WOULD be one to pull out my guitar and draw the ladies away from HIM with my siren song.  This was my vow.

So how did I pursue this dream, you ask?  Well, I didn't.  As puberty played its last few jokes, I took on more of the "funny, smart, kind, yet . . . special spirit" identity (when I say "special spirit" I mean zitty, slightly greased, and rotund kinda fella, ya know).  And while the other Gaston-types plucked away on their love harps, us "special spirits" focused on our lasting and meaningful social skills rather than our peacock strut.

Then...

Cue: Mission and a two-year delay.
Cue: Dating, work, and school
Cue: Marriage, finances, and responsibility
Cue: Being too busy for my own good, but secretly loving it
Cue: A friend that THREW free lessons at me, but I never really was able to take them
Cue: A father who bought me an entire library of HowTo Guitar CDs that I never have time for
Cue: ChildREN
Cue: Life

That catches me up to today and the current state of my relationship with my guitar. . . which is pretty much non existent.  No happy ending here, at least YET.  It is still on my dreams list, but right now the thought of taking it on kind of overwhelms me.  Maybe when the current dust settles and before the next storm arises I will surprise myself and learn a few songs.

So why blog on this, you ask?  Well, for starters I believe that addressing our problems/concerns is step one.  Two - I like to be reminded of my "life list" and that there really is a "too late".  Three - I needed to post.

Here's to fulfilling dreams and never giving up.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Guitars are overrated...just like accents. You're better off without them

Lamb said...

Well I tried. Bethany's comment should be deleted..