19 January 2012

Kill 'em with Karma

I work in a very dramatic industry.  Almost daily I "talk people off the ledge" and keep them from "jumping out the window".  I'm being serious.  It's a delight, really.

Anyhow, there is a specific "lady" in the corporate office that takes the histrionic cake, blows it up, and smears its remains on her face as a sort of melodramatic war paint, and, completely unbeknown st to me, I fell from her good graces on a certain Tuesday (I know this because a coworker informed me that she is telling people that I "don't know a hole in the wall from my own head.")  Now, I know I shouldn't give her distaste for me much weight because I'm probably just her Nemesis of the Hour, but I still find it unsettling that someone out there dislikes me for no reason at all.  Come on, if you are going to detest me enough to talk crap on me, at least do it for a quality reason.  Unfounded annoyance is a waste of every one's time.

So, I was sitting at work being annoyed about her orneriness and on comes a swift and wicked bout of stomach flu.  I was miserable, but I needed to stay at work for at least a few more hours.  To give my coworkers relief from my moaning (I believe that moaning actually alleviates the pangs of the flu), I decided to take my lunch break and nap in my car.  After resting up, I headed back towards the parking garage stairs and heard a raspy scream and a deep thud.  Unable to move much faster than a geriatric shuffle, I got to the steps as quickly as I could.  When I arrived, the sight in front of me was nothing short of pathetic.

(artist's rendition...actual steps) 


That same cantankerous coworker who libeled and defamed me was now laying in a pile of her own self on the hard concrete steps.  I'm not proud of what happened next (I am throwing it out to my diminished mental state), but after giving her a good 3-second stare I simply and slowly stepped over her.  Luckily my conscious kicked in and I turned to her and asked if she was okay.  Apparently she had slipped on the icy steps (the stairs are covered and heated . . . ) on her way to a doctor's appointment.  The devil on my left shoulder told me to apologize and walk on, but the angel on the right won out this time I an offered to walk her to her car. 

We shared a 3-minute linked arm embrace to her car and then she was on her way.  It's now been a couple weeks, we've eaten lunch in the same room, but we have not even breathed a word of this experience.  I'm resolute though because I may not know the difference between a hole and my head, but I was there in her pathetic and embarrassing moment of need.  There's no price you can put on that . . . this visual is enough.

I'm considering her killed with karma.

1 comment:

Shiv said...

This story makes me happy...because it's nice to know that my workplace is not the only place where drama and cantankerous people can be found. You just keep killing 'em with karma!