03 April 2008

The new adventures of MANAGER/BOY!

Sit back for this great story of intrigue and mystery.

Okay so I know I need to be all grown up about this whole thing, but it makes me bust a gut! It is seriously hilarious and has made me a minor SUPERSTAR! FO REAL!

Let me take you back a couple weeks. As I sitting in rehearsal at the theatre I have one of my employees come and inform me that (this is at intermission of Big River) there is a gentleman waiting to talk to me about his wife and that he is NOT happy.

This job is great in the fact that it is giving me a thick skin when it comes to irate persons. ANYWHO I walked up (in basketball shorts, a t-shirt, and BANDANNA) to speak to this man. He is approx. mid to late thirties and for the most part stayed calm in his tone. (When I say CALM I am referring to the others that get NASTY!) He informed me that his wife is on diuretics and because of which she had to leave in the middle of the performance to use the restroom....check. THEN one of my employees wouldn't let her back in and told her she would have to wait until intermission. I tried informing him of STATED policy, but because he had apparently worked at some kind of theatre somewhere he knew EVERY law and we were in violation. He kept going on, but I informed him that we have a no refund policy STATED with EVERY SALE and that we would not be able to refund his money. OH he was UPSET.

We walked back to the Box Office and at this point he began to tell me he was going to SUE ME and the theatre. (Apparently lawyer cost of hundreds of dollars for a $14 ticket is justifiable in his mind.......WHATEVA) I then told him that I would "no longer be speaking to him of this matter if you are threatening to sue. I cannot be making statements that will be considered 'in the name of RMT' and you will be contacted by a member of our board of trustees." He didn't like that either. (He is a hard customer to please) He demanded I give him the theatre presidents number. I did. He contacted the President and his called was returned with no reply.

Now you have the basics I will get to the fun part. I couple weeks later I start getting messages asking if I am the said, "manager/boy"? They then informed me of the Davis County Clipper letter to the editor entitled, "Rodger's Wasn't Very Courteous" (Click on it to read)....I LOVED IT! It is from the wife stating her side of the story. She conveniently left out the fact that she was originally LATE to the show and thus we had to seat her at an approved time (which she agreed to at the ticket purchase) and thus lost her original seats. Because of such she missed the disclaimer given at the beginning of EVERY performance stating you will be seated at AN APPROPRIATE TIME if you chose to leave during the performance. She also failed to mention that we provided her with a seat in the lobby so that she could watch the performance on a flat screen with additional speakers. Her husband told me "that was NOT SUFFICIENT COMPENSATION." She ALSO failed to mention the whole threatening to sue idea and that her husband WAS CONTACTED withing 24 hours.

BUT the best part of it all is her reference to myself: MANAGER/BOY! I am seriously going to start a comic of my alter ego persona. Good guy by day, MANAGER/BOY by night. "You have to pee ma'am? NOT ON MANAGER/BOY's watch!" "Where you goin'? Don't make me "LITERALLY STAND IN FRONT OF" YOU and MAKE you pee yo self! Here put these DEPENDS on (a person favorite of her venting session) before I have to lay the SMACK DOWN!"

AND as for the Depends (click on it! I DARE you!) I have all kinds of T-shirts in mind. "Do I support Rodger's Memorial Theatre? It DEPENDS!" and simply ".....Depends" I was thinking of even offering them at discount at the concessions counter. Wrapped discretely of course.

I could go on, but I just had to inform you all of the fun I was having and didn't want to keep it to myself. "Thank you for letting me vent."

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I just KNEW you were the manager/boy she was referring to in her letter. Gee Greg- you're such a meanie! I like your new evil alter-ego.

Shiv said...

I was reading Andrew and Elise's blog and clicked on the link to yours and I am SOOO glad I did. You crack me up! I am just wondering what kind of super hero costume MANAGER/BOY will be wearing. I need to be on the look out for him. He might MAKE me pee my pants :) Anyway, your blog is great. You guys are great. Hope life is treating you swell. Love ya, BaShivon!

Anonymous said...

I have told everyone at school! They back you up but one person...could she be related to this crazy lady???

lindsey hill said...

hey-greg, so you can't call us Maybery yet. The goats are not ours. they are my parents neighbors, they had 12 baby goats and I had to take Emma over to see them. Yes please let us know when you could squeeze us into your busy schedule, we would love to hang out!!!

Andrew said...

BEF! That is SO SO funny. For real. People are like that the airport all the time. It is great!!

Anonymous said...

How educated could this person be? I grew up in a household that frequented plays, the ballet and various concerts. Thankfully, theater etiquette was instilled in me early. I hate it when people come in late or come in in the middle of a performance. It is very disruptive even if they are "on the back row". Common decency people. What I find funniest is that people who go to the theater know the "rules" and wouldn't stop going somewhere where they inforce said "rules". I find the letter to the editor hillarious. It was quite an elloquent letter. I've been called "girl in charge" at my job by an angry customer. People make me laugh.

Hannah White said...

You got to be kidding me! That woman sounds crazy. Not kind but true.
I am all of selling depends. I think you could build the black box just off of those funds!

Anonymous said...

Dear Manager-Boy

I am still mad, and I stand by my statement.


Sincerely,

Lady who had to poop and wrote a letter to The Clipper about it.

Paige said...

I love the alter ego....good times.

Lamb said...

okay that is hilarious! Isn't it great working with the public? You get wack jobs like this and it seems like she has a lot of spare time, why not just buy another ticket and come back another day? duh... I would have backhanded her..

Lamb said...

oh and next time she comes in take her to the horse.. she needs that..

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! This story is awesome - way to go Greg! :o)

xox