22 August 2011

My Media Mind-boggler

When it comes to media, I am unfortunately brain dead.  I love movies, books, and music, but I could forget their finer points and details within days, if not minutes.  I see people with sponge-like brains that absorb and quote all sorts of media and I am immediately and WHOLLY jealous.  I want that! (I just quoted from Napoleon Dynamite – one of the few arrows I carry in my quote quiver.)  Along with my hairy, right-hand, ring-finger, mid-knuckle abnormality this is one of my insecurities.  So much so that I tend to make media a lesser priority in my life (maybe my way of avoiding the pain of my media dementia). I love going to the movies, but make excuses that they are too expensive.  I love music, but only talk about songs to myself while in my car.  I love books, but feel so UNDERread that I busy myself with other tasks.  It is sick, really.

BUT, ask me random trivia about either anatomy, mechanics, psychology, culinary arts, or . . . anything else not related to my current life and I could probably come up with a lengthy answer – none of which really serves me any real purpose, but is tucked in there tight just ready to explode all over the next random situation that presents itself before me.

Cake, eat it too . . . COME ON!

So while waving my standard of Invictus, I am usurping the helm of my life and altering my fate for the better.  Step one, attempt to catch myself up on the great movies of the past two years (Megan, I am putting you in charge of the classics).  Behold . . .THE LIST! (please feel free to critique and/or suggest addtions):

2010

  • True Grit
  • The King’s Speech
  • Iron Man 2
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • Robin Hood
  • Dinner for Schmucks
  • Prince of Persia
  • Eat, Pray, Love
  • The Karate Kid
  • Secretariat
  • Chronicals of Narnia
  • Shrek forever after

2011

  • 17 Miracles
  • Rise of the Planet of the Apes
  • Captain America
  • The Help
  • Super 8
  • Limitless
  • Water for Elephants
  • Midnight in Paris
  • Rio
  • Green Lantern
  • Thor
  • Soul Surfer
  • Jane Eyre

Also, please feel free to list the BEST book/series you have recently read (Careful, huge book lists excite me . . . then overwhelm me.)

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

READY . . . . GO!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

We loved the Adjustment Bureau. Has a great spiritual message. Seen it twice.

Lamb said...

You don't need to see half of these movies...

Unknown said...

I'm with Steve- you can skip half of them. But I also agree with Cheryl- I LOVED Adjustment Bureau. Totally different from what I was expecting and I also got an amazing spiritual lesson from it.

Please, please, please read "The Help". The movie is VERY good and stays close to the book but there's nothing like the original. And have you read "Three Cups of Tea" yet? I don't care if some of it is made up- it still inspires.

Let's sit down with this list on Sunday and round it out :-)

Chelle said...

Yes, read The Help before you watch the movie! It's an AMAZING book! Also I loved The Hunger Games series. There are only 3 books, so that probably isn't too overwhelming. :) And they are written for young adults so they are fairly quick reads.

Lamb said...

What is the revised list? Let me and Brooke approve it first...

Lamb said...

I need a new post and an update on the movies watched. Get on that...